Wisconsin’s Active Schools Initiative gives students more opportunities to be active in and around the school day, enabling the students to get the 60 minutes of physical activity that is recommended daily. Schools in Richland County and throughout the state are making an effort to implement several Active School strategies to increase opportunities for physical activity for all students before, during and after school.
The Active School Strategies include increasing physical activities in :
- Before and After School programs – Walking Wednesdays or adding/increasing minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity in before and after school programs
- Active Classrooms – Implementing activity bursts. Activity bursts are 3-5 minute physical activity breaks that can be worked in to a lesson plan or done on their own
- Active Recess – Structured recess that includes all kids on the playground (four square, running club, field games, etc.)
- PE Class – Increasing the minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity
- Homework or Extra Credit Activities for PE Class